Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dear Wendy: "My Girlfriend Lets Her Friends Take Advantage Of Her"

Dear Wendy Logo

I've been with my girlfriend for about two and a half years. The one problem I have is with my girlfriend's friends and how they handle money. From everything I know, everyone is on pretty similar pay levels, but her friends always seem to be short on cash when they do stuff together. My girlfriend always covers everything, whether it's drinks, dinners, or tickets to events, and gets defensive when I ask about it and says "it's just a couple dollars between friends." Recently, I've been getting short-changed by them, too. They will invite us out to a fancy restaurant, order up a storm of appetizers and bottles of wine, while I'm content with my single entrée and beverage, and then when the bill comes, they'll suggest we split everything evenly, and then when it comes time to pay, what they've put in is about half of what their evenly divided portion should have been. I'll offer to pay the remainder to avoid an issue, but it leaves me peeved. I can cover these financial indiscretions without problem since I'm better off financially than most in the group, but my girlfriend is saving up for a big trip soon, and can never seem to get out of debt, yet is still always paying for her friends and is mortally embarrassed when I threaten to call them out on it.  Also, if I'm thinking about a long-term future with her, I'm afraid to have joint finances if she can't seem to manage her own. — Need a Bail Out

Source: http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-dear-wendy-my-girlfriend-lets-her-friends-take-advantage-of-her/?eref=RSS

Madonna Cher Jennifer Aniston Alicia Keys

No comments:

Post a Comment