Friday, August 6, 2010

Sean Penn Questions Wyclef Jean Presidential Campaign

Earlier today, Wyclef Jean officially kicked off his campaign to be the next President of Haiti. But the singer already faces opposition from an Oscar winner and well-known activist in the region: Sean Penn. Asked by Larry King for his take on Jean's political ambitions, Penn cited allegations that Wyclef mishandled $400,000 in earthquake-relief donations and said the artist has been absent from his native country. "This is somebody who's going to receive an enormous amount of support from the United States, and I have to say I'm very suspicious of it," said Penn, who runs a 55,000-person tent camp via his J/P Haitian Relief Organization, adding: "I'm not accusing Wyclef Jean of being an opportunist; I don't know the man. One of the reasons I don't know very much about Wyclef Jean is that I haven't seen or heard anything of him in these last six months that I've been in Haiti." Wyclef didn't respond by claiming he's been active in the nation itself, but instead says he's perfect for the position because he understands "the psychology of the Haitian people." "What I want Sean Penn to know is, if I was not in Haiti after [former president] Jean-Bertrand Aristide left, if I did not create [my charity] Yéle Haiti to start stopping the violence, even him coming to Haiti would not have been possible today," replied the Grammy-winning musician. Hopefully, these two will sit down at some point and hash out their points of view.Brad Pitt Lindsay Lohan Mel Gibson Sandra Bullock

No comments:

Post a Comment